Apple today seeded minor updates to iOS 16 and macOS Ventura with critical security updates and bug fixes. Here’s what we know.
- Apple has released the iOS 16.6.1 update, along with minor updates for other operating systems. It contains important security updates that are recommended for all users.
- Apple continues to roll out bug fixes and security updates to operating systems currently working on iOS 17, macOS Sonoma, and watchOS 10.
- To avoid security issues, it is recommended that all users update their Apple devices to iOS 16.6.1, iPadOS 16.6.1, watchOS 9.6.2, or macOS Ventura 13.5.2 by following the steps below.
While there were rumors that Apple might skip the iOS 16.6.1 update and instead release iOS 16.7 instead, the company rolled out iOS 16.6.1 to users today. The release came with minor updates for other Apple operating systems, with iPadOS 16.6.1, watchOS 9.6.2, and macOS Ventura 13.5.2. The iOS 16.6.1 update contains “important security updates and is recommended for all users,” according to Apple.
With the development of iOS 17, macOS Sonoma, and watchOS 10 in full swing, there isn’t much Apple can do with the current operating system. Instead, the company continues to roll out bug fixes and security updates as problems and issues emerge. Although we don’t know much about this issue, we expect Apple to reveal more information through support documents soon. At this point, it is recommended that all users update to avoid the security issues found in iOS 16.6.1 from being compromised.
To update your Apple device to the latest software, follow these steps.
To update your Apple compatible device:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Click the General tab.
- Select Software Update.
- Wait for the update to appear. If you don’t see any updates, try restarting your device.
- When the update is displayed, click Download and install.
- Wait for the download to finish. That’s when they will start preparing.
- Once the configuration is complete, these changes will begin to be implemented.
- Wait for the installation to finish. Remember not to turn off your device or unplug it during this time.
- After the download is complete, your device will be running iOS 16.6.1, iPadOS 16.6.1, watchOS 9.6.2, or macOS Ventura 13.5.2.