Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers, and you can use it on Ubuntu, also by installing it with a few clicks.
Ubuntu is one of the most widely used Linux distributions that offers a great user experience that Windows and macOS users enjoy. On the other hand, Google Chrome is one of the most used browsers. So, if you want to use Google Chrome on your Ubuntu laptop or any other Ubuntu machine instead of the default and pre-installed Firefox browser, you can. There are two ways to install it. You can enjoy manual downloads with the default Firefox browser, similar to how you would use Edge to do this on Windows, or you can install it using Terminal.
How to install Chrome on Ubuntu via the Internet
- Open Firefox
- Go to the Google Chrome download page.
- Select the first 64 bit .deb option for Debian/Ubuntu.
- Select Accept and install.
- Save the file.
- Once the download is complete, go to your File app and click Downloads.
- Double-click to open google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb. If you’re having trouble, right-click and select Open with Software Center.
- The Ubuntu Software Center will open. Select the green Apply button.
- Enter your password.
You will see a notification about the installation being completed. You can find it from the list of your programs, and enter it in the browser, to synchronize your preferences and other history on your different operating systems or devices.
How to install Chrome on Ubuntu via terminal
If you are the more technical type, you can also install Google Chrome using the terminal. This is not easy, because you have to manually write some commands, but in the end, it works just as well as manually installing the download. You will take the file, and run the command to download it.
- Start the Terminal program
- Type this command: wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
- Type the following command: sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
- Enter your password
After that, you will see that Google Chrome will be available to you in your options. You will be able to sign in to your Google account and use the browser as you would on any other platform. We recommend that you add this app to your favorites, too. Just find it in your list of apps and right click and select Add to Favorites.